I’d like to start a new calendar page with two announcements:
1) I still feel like arse after a night of debauchery at Late Night Lenny’s fine sporting establishment, Rails and Ales.
2) At The Rails will be new and improved! By that I mean, we will actually try to post every day. I know, we dare to dream big…
We admit we’ve been lazy. And I have to admit that yours truly was too, uh, tired to watch any of today’s Premier League games. Actually I caught a bit of the Birmingham – Arsenal game… but I seemed to have missed all the exciting bits.
Speaking of bits (and bobs), here’s what happened in the football world today:
– David Beckham is set to join Tottenham Hotspur but needs permission from the L.A. Galaxy. It’ll be interesting to see who gets bumped out of an impressive Spurs midfield. Rafael Van der Vaart? Pffft…. what’s that guy done lately?
– Woy Hodgson insists that he has the backing of Liverpool’s owners and players. His comments come one day after he apologized to Liverpool fans, saying he hasn’t experienced any of the “famous Anfield support”. Sing when you’re winning, Roy: you’re not in the posh end of London anymore.
– At The Rails did not make the Guardian’s “100 Football Blogs to follow in 2011“. Looks like someone is going to get a tersely-worded e-mail… and perhaps a bag of Mick McCarthy’s “special” brand of caramel.
– Spanish football will go ahead this weekend, despite efforts by the players’ union to suspend the games. It seems that Spanish footballers wanted Sunday off. Where’s my burrito! Where’s my burrito!!
– I came across this photo of Don Fabio as I researched this article. It’s enough to make me drink through my hangover (shudder)…
Here’s to a great 2011!